Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What I Kept


Having two babies pretty much in a row in my mid-thirties definitely has not been easy on my figure. I went from being between a size 10 and a size 12 to being between a size 14 and a size 16. Some women loose a lot of weight by breastfeeding but, sadly, I am not one of them. Although I have come to terms with my current size, it is sometimes a bit of a shock when I see my reflection in a shop window or mirror when I am not expecting it. In my mind, I think I still envision myself about 40 to 50 pounds lighter.


Still, I would like to loose some weight this summer. So far my plan is to limit ice cream to two times a week, do yoga regularly and ride my bike all over town which I finally got fixed. We'll see how it goes. In the meantime, the best I can do is try and find flattering ways to cover it up. I think I found one with this vintage 1970s dark navy polka dot skirt.


The skirt sat in my shop all of one day until I tried it on today and realized how much I like it. You can see the ties dragging a bit in the photographs, but that's just because I didn't tie it quite high enough. The skirt is also completely adjustable, so you can really vary the look. The last thing I need right now is more clothes (just got rid of four big bags full and my closet is still brimming...) but what the hay? Happy un-birthday to me.


* Skirt, vintage 1970s, nicked from Curious Knopf; Shirt, Vero Moda; Watch, vintage 1970s Seiko that once belonged to my aunt; Bakelite ring, from Petit Oiseau; Earrings, burgundy Bakelite and vintage buttons, something I made and also decided to keep; Necklace, Art Deco Dreams Necklace, made by me and still for sale at Curious Knopf (better hurry because I just may also decide to keep it for myself! ;) ); Shoes, thrifted at the Fillmore Goodwill across from the Japantown Mall in San Francisco.

2 comments:

  1. I love the skirt and you look terrific! Good decision on the keeping. I keep quite a lot of what fits me, probably too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! Yes, we also have to treat ourselves nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete